Monday, November 6, 2006


I have been the commisioner of a fantasy football league for 10 years now. I started out in the early days back when I had to gather everyone's stats on Sportcenter and from the newspaper and calculate everything myself. Anyhow, I posted the following message on our league website this evening:



Well, I made a decision today. And I'm OK with it. This is going to be the last year for the Gosport Enigmas. I can't do this anymore. Obviously this means that I will no be the commisioner after 2006, so if you all want to continue with the league I'm sure you will do just fine without me.


I can't simply enjoy football for what it is anymore. It's too complex. As much as I love NFL football, fantasy football is draining all the joy out of it. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a big time competitor. And I'm a sore loser. It's a fact and I admit it. And I just cannot continue to go through this.


Just consider this and maybe you will begin to understand: After losing my 3rd straight yesterday, it brought back serious Deja Vu. I started out 6-0 this year, now three straight losses. So I went back and checked every game of the last four seasons. Here is what I found: my cumulative record starting out these four seasons is 29-5. My record to close out these four seasons, including playoffs, is 4-17. Now how does that happen? Every season? I don't know and it doesn't matter anymore. What I do know is that I cannot invest myself in this anymore.....Combine that with all the headches of being a commisioner and it's just something I would be better off not having to endure. My family deserves to have a husband and a father on Sunday and Monday nights, not a sressed-out lunatic who looks at the computer every minute-and-a-half.


So......I'll finish out the season as the Enigmas and the commish, of course. I'll do my best to collect the remaining prize money and hand it over to Smashmouth after week 16. At this point, though.....I am in the red so there may be no prize money.....Hope Smashie can accept that. Thanks everyone for all the memories, good and bad. Let me know if there might be anyway for me to help with transitioning to a new commish for 2007.


No comments: