Saturday, July 15, 2006


I have to tell you about a strange encounter last evening. I was out mowing and I look up and Kim is waving for me and pointing at something. I turn off the mower and hop off and she hollers "is that a fox?" I look up and here is this animal wandering around just off the edge of our yard, smelling around in the field. I start walking towards it and it does not seem the slightest bit phased by my approach. I kinda saunters off, heading towards the pond, mostly sniffing around in the field. I continue to get closer and closer until I'm about 15 feet away. I run into the house and grab the camera to get a picture of this creature. I'm thinking it is a fox. It acts disoriented and looked a little skinny to me, at one point just waking around in a short circle over and over. It wanders over to the pond...hops in....swims for 2-3 minutes and them climbs out...shakes off...lays down in the woods and starts grooming itself....Iwalk right over...take a couple of step in the woods...hold out the camera and take this picture.

Can anyone tell me what this creature is? A fox, right?

8 comments:

Darth Daddy said...

I don't think it's a fox - perhaps a stray dog.

Darth Daddy said...

Awesome pictures, by the way!

Darth Daddy said...

Perhaps it is the mating of a fox and a dog.

Anonymous said...

I still think that it is a wolf pup or maybe a werewolf....

Mike said...

Coyote Pup

Woman of Wales said...

don't think it's a fox, looks like a wolf to me but is probably a dog. Poor thing looks as though it's in a bad way.

Idaho Dad said...

I'd guess coyote. It's not a wolf. We just visited a wolf habitat today, coincidentally. I'm 84% sure it's not a wolf.

Anonymous said...

It looks like a young coyote to me, Marc!

Marie